Michael Leung –
Michael Leung, has had a passion for architecture since the age of sixteen, when he started working in an architectural firm in the UK. He then went on to university to study architecture.
Michael became a UK registered architect in March 2000. He has 30 years experience in architecture and project management.
For 8 years, his primary focus was property development and project management for commercial, residential and hospitality projects in Australia and the South Pacific.
During this phase he started Lausanne Property’s Sydney office and headed up Andrew Forrest’s Private Minderoo Property Group in Perth building over $300m of projects.
Michael has worked at prominent Architectural practices like TP Bennett, KSS in London and Hassell Architects in Sydney designing and delivering a variety of interesting and exciting commercial projects.
Michael brings leadership and design experience with a wealth of construction delivery knowledge to all his projects.
He has recently delivered major projects like the international award winning Musters Residences, The Indian Ocean Suites MBA award winning, The Baynton Residences, Minderoo Homestead all in WA.
Further afield, The Fiji Beach Resort and Spa, The Rottnest Island and Ningaloo reef resort design projects have taken his work and experience to new levels.
Michael now prefers designing and building more healthy and sustainable homes with their team at Balanced Earth and has set up home and business in Byron Bay.
Balanced Earth have won awards for designs of Skyfarm, Goninan Hemp houses, Cape Byron Steiner School as well as many other unique residential projects.
Balanced Earth provide end to end project management from the design of your project to the build.
Please click on the links to visit the websites of Michael’s and Balanced Earth for examples of their work.
Balanced Earth and Michael Leung Awards
- BE Master builder award NSW sustainable House – Manfred St Hemp House. – 2019
- BE Master builder award NSW sustainable House – Goninana Hemp House. – 2017
- Sky Farm: Sustainable People’s Choice Awards – Tiny house Design – 2016
- The Musterers: Archdaily Building of the Year 2016 – Housing Category
- The Musterers: Architizer A+ Award 2016 – Multi Unit Housing, Low Rise Category, Judges Choice
- The Musterers: TERRA Award for Earthen Architecture 2016 – Collective Housing Category
- The Musterers: Australian Institute of Architects 2015 Architecture Awards – Residential Architecture
- Indian Ocean Suites: Master Builder Association 2014 Winner of Excellence Award
- Hilton Fiji: Pevonia Spa Awards – 2014 Winner “International Spa of the Year” Pevonia Botanica
- Hilton Fiji: Luxury Travel Magazine’s 2013 Gold List Award – Best Overseas Family Resort – Finalist
- Hilton Fiji: Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence Winner 2014, 2013 & 2012
- Hilton Fiji: Pevonia Spa Awards – Runner-up 2013 Pevonia Spa of the Year
- British Gas RIBA Winner of Low Energy Residential Design Award
- Freeman and Guilds Excellence Award
Great episode! I’m listening from South East England so it was funny to hear Michael say he’d never return to Northern England. I am loving the reprieve from the heat of Australia here right now!
Loved hearing about Hemp building and feel very drawn to this building material. Good to hear it’s not more expensive than a traditional building but has a better carbon footprint. It’s great to hear how affordable sustainable building can be. Thank you.
I am fascinated by Hemp now. Thanks, Jeremy. This and the previous episode were a great introduction to this incredible building material and I am super keen to explore this more.
I hope to be able to visit Michael in Byron. 😀